What is waterproofing?
Waterproofing is a method which prevents water from penetrating your house. Waterproofing is very important as it helps keep your house dry. It helps reduce humidity inside the house and thereby protects things inside your house from damage caused due to humidity or water exposure. It is also important for the veracity of the building.
Advantages of waterproofing:
Variety of options
Depending on the level of water damage or owner preference, waterproofing systems can be installed indoors or outdoors.There are also DIY (Do it yourself) options available if you don’t want to spend extra on hiring a contractor.
Waterproofing increases your house’s value, which is the biggest advantage. This system prevents unwanted moisture from seeping into your walls, thereby allowing mold to grow. Mold can impact our health in a negative way. It also prevents damage caused due to water seepage which can ruin the structural integrity of your home. Moisture also causes metals to rust and wood to decay. As you know unhealthy living areas and weak foundations will affect the property value of your house. Also, waterproofing systems can open up the basement area and thereby increase the utility of your home’s square footage. This also helps in increasing the value of your house in the market.
Types of waterproofing:
Brick Bet waterproofing
Brick bet waterproofing helps seal cracks and water leakages, hides the untidy marks and also provides aesthetically appealing coverage using china mosaic tiles.
Following are a few steps for brick bet waterproofing:
Firstly, it removes the debris and cleans the whole surface.
Second, put the china mosaic tiles and fix them.
Some other benefits of waterproofing concrete.
- It prevents mold and mildew from getting into the walls and floor. This makes waterproofing essential to structural integrity and health.
- It reduces maintenance costs and clean-up. With waterproof structures, you have a lot less work to do when cleaning up after a heavy rainstorm or flood. Basic maintenance is much easier, the waterproof factor keeps things clean.
- Waterproofed walls and floors increase property value. When the time comes to sell, a waterproofed basement or sub-floor is a good selling point. No one wants to buy a house with water problems.
Things to do before waterproofing concrete:
- Make sure the surface is clean and dry. Use a scraper to remove old paint or wall/floor coverings. Sweep everything to ensure no dirt is hiding that you cannot see. If need be, use a warm water and soap mix to scrub walls or floors, making sure to rinse after you scrub. Allow drying thoroughly.
- Patch all holes with a hydraulic expanding concrete mix. Allow the patches to dry for a minimum of 24 hours.
- Tape off all items extending onto the floor or the walls like stairs or electrical boxes.
The importance of quality materials.
Make sure you use high-quality products to waterproof your concrete. Inferior products waste too much time and money. At Pli-Dek we have over 35 years of experience manufacturing and applying all types of waterproofing systems. When you are ready for more information on waterproofing concrete please contact us.